Thursday, November 3, 2011

ZUMBA and the Muffin Top

I love muffins. I do *not* like muffin tops. And I have one!! For the first time in my life, I have the infamous muffin top....that lovely blob of skin and fat that poofs out over the top of one's jeans. To give me some motivation for this 90 Day Challenge, I put on my jeans from LAST YEAR, and took a couple pictures that will serve as my "before" photos. When I looked at them on my camera, I think I threw up in my mouth a little. As you can see, I am pretty much thin everywhere but my mid-section. Not cool. I used to have a six-pack. It's under there...somewhere....  I am cringing right now, because I am about to make these photos public. But really, why should I? Not everyone has a perfect body and most people do struggle. I actually look pretty decent, after having four children. Still, this is not my personal best and I intend to make some serious changes. Besides, I think posting these ugly belly shots will just motivate me even further.

I have NEVER looked like this. I didn't even look like this after having my fourth baby!! This is SAD, people!! It was only after I stopped breastfeeding Jackson (in March 2010) that the muffin top began to appear. Horror of horrors!! 

I tell ya....I turned 30, had my fourth baby...and it all went downhill from there. I used to be able to eat an entire pizza - all by myself!! I'm not saying that was the healthiest thing to do (although it sure was yummy), but - I was able to do it and it never altered my appearance. Now, at age 33, I actually have to work at it. "Work." Ugh...

And then, this year, ZUMBA came into my life. I'd heard about it before, on television, but never thought much about it. I mean, it looked fun...sure. But I never had a desire to buy the product. Earlier this year, I found out my friend from Church was a Zumba instructor. I wanted to get to know her better, support her as an instructor, and - let's face it - get some exercise. Oh. My. Goodness. Zumba was sooo fun!!! I thought, "Zumba, my LOVE - where have you been?!!"  I was instantly hooked. It got even worse when I found out the gym I have a lifetime membership to (24 Hour Fitness) had Zumba classes. Turns out, my friend from Church knew the Zumba instructor from the gym. So, I went to her class. Michaela kicked my butt and I enjoyed every second of it. In fact, one hour was not enough. The great music, the fun routines, the enthusiastic instructor...all made the hour fly by. I thought, "This can't be right! I am basically dancing, having SO much fun, it doesn't feel like exercise, and yet my workout clothes are sweatier than they get when I run a 5k!!"  SOLD.

The great and powerful Michaela introduced me to Shakeology and I love it. I did a Shakeology cleanse shortly before my soldier hubby came home for R&R and lost - *drumroll* - SIX pounds!!! It's a good thing, too...because we went to California for two weeks and ate our weight in awesome food. Shakeology has been really nice to have. I can choose to do a three day cleanse, whenever I want. Otherwise, I substitute one meal each day for a shake. 

I know what I need to do. I need to drink lots of water each day. I need to get a good night's sleep, every night. I need to inject Shakeology and Zumba into my days because they truly are like shots of happy energy. Finally, I need to keep my house free of candy, processed foods, etc....because if it's here, I WILL eat it. I fully admit, when it comes to yummy goodness, I have no willpower. Knowing this, I just need to take the steps to keep myself from failing.

This blog is getting long. I'm glad I started it though. Even if no one reads it, this is a great journal for me to keep track of my thoughts and goals and how I am progressing. And if you ARE reading this...hop on board!! Every day is a new day. Each new day can be a fresh, new start. Yeee-HAW!!!

Motivation: This was me, 6 weeks pregnant with baby #4.
THIS is what I want to get back to.

2 comments:

  1. If I looked like your before picture I would walk around at the mall in a bikini! (not really) Good luck on your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're falling victim to one of the most insidious and classic cases of "I'm not good enough" that we women put on ourselves. You are fine the way you are, you do NOT need to change, and I agree with the previous comment - If I looked even half as good as you I'd be flaunting it not wallowing in misery. Your hubby has been gone and when he comes home, TRUST me he's not gonna be sitting there going "You know Ellen, you look like you put on a couple pounds". Nope, he's gonna think you look awesome and hot and amazing, and IMO I think that's the only opinion that matters. We are our own worst enemy.

    ReplyDelete